Individual & Family Clients
According to a 2013 study conducted by US Trust (“The Philanthropic Conversation” study), 75% of high net worth consumers expect their professional advisor to ask them about philanthropy, but only 34% of advisors feel comfortable doing so.
How do I start a conversation with my client about charitable giving?
- Ask your client “What do you want to accomplish with your wealth?”
- Determine if your client might be open to a conversation about philanthropy.
- Do they have a history of giving to multiple charities and/or local nonprofits?
- Have they mentioned their interest in starting a Private Foundation ?
- Are they creating or re-writing a will?
- Do they have assets that will be subject to probate upon their death?
- Are they are getting ready to sell a business or will they experience another significant “tax event”?
- Do they want to involve their children or grandchildren in philanthropy?